JOIN US… December 20th, 2021 at 12:00Pm
for the… 100 Mile Backwards Challenge and KICKOFf pARTY!
enjoy live music, food and fellowship as we join together to help the children in our community
join our ONE MILE BACKWARDS CHALLENGE! Everyone is welcome, FREE registration!
*Check out the 2020 100 Mile Challenge in the video above!
Track of Optimism & Field of Dreams
hosted by The Community Boys and Girls Club
A Multi-Cultural & Multi-Generational Athletic Exploratorium
Coming spring 2025 and will be open to the public, 7 days a week
To promote optimal health & well-being with a positive mindset for everyone.
To build a unique Track & Field facility for everyone, especially young adults, of all abilities & backgrounds surrounded with audio & visual stimulation in the fitness equipment, play equipment, exhibits, art and architecture promoting a healthy lifestyle and a positive mindset while they run on the ‘TRACK of Optimism’ and/or explore the ‘FIELD of Dreams.’ This multi-generational athletic exploratorium will be a motivational and educational outdoor fitness & play environment built to inspire a desire to achieve success. We believe the desire to achieve success is inherent in every human being. Every child and adult who enters the gates of Optimism Oasis will be inspired to learn, explore and achieve more with passion & perseverance on their journey of turning dreams into reality.
Science of Wellness & Well Being:
are among many programs that will be taught within the Optimism Oasis edutainment park. It is simple and scientific: surround yourself with positive reinforcement (positive words, positive people and a positive environment) and you will produce positive results in your life.
MENTAL HEALTH BENEFITS at the OPTIMISM OASIS:
In today’s world with a pandemic, uncertainty about the future and an overload of internet stimuli, many kids experience severe anxiety, depression and even suicide at an alarming rate. Exercise is a natural and effective anti-anxiety treatment reducing the symptoms of ADHD by improving concentration, motivation, memory and disposition. Physical activity immediately boosts the brain’s dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels – all of which enhance focus and creativity.
WE BELIEVE the OPTIMISM OASIS will provide kids and young adults in the underserved Northside Community of Wilmington a great sense of pride in their cultural heritage through the educational & inspirational exhibits designed to inspire a desire to achieve success for themselves, their community and the world. All visitors to the OASIS will experience positive benefits (mind, body & spirit) in this irresistible athletic exploratorium where exercise is FUN and life is A WORLD OF INFINITE POSSIBILITIES!
Optimism Oasis Unique Features:
- TRACK OF OPTIMISM – 400 Meter / 8 Lane certified track for training and official competition for New Hanover High School, regional running clubs and enthusiasts.
- GLOBAL STAGE OF IMAGINATION – Amphitheater for special athletic and theatrical events + big screen inspirational documentaries and YouTube motivational videos.
- GREAT ACHIEVER’S SUMMIT – Featuring local & national guest ‘Great Achievers’ speaking from the summit and interacting with kids and the community.
- GREAT WALLS OF MOTIVATION – High energy motivational audible quotes and images of athletic achievers promoting a positive mindset while running on the track.
- GREAT WALL OF IMAGINATION – 1000+ career options to help align passions with professions and open everyone’s mind to a world of infinite possibilities.
- GREAT WALL OF INNOVATION – 1000+ Innovations w/emphasis on science & technology promoting ingenuity in young ‘Avatar Architects’ and ‘Energy Engineers’.
- GREAT WALL OF INSPIRATION – Featuring 1000+ inspirational quotes and images of leaders such as Martin Luther King, Mandela, Gandhi, Harriet Tubman, Dorothy Johnson, Toni Morrison, Oprah, Michelle Obama, Eleanor Roosevelt, etc.
- GREAT WALL OF AFRICAN AMERICAN MUSIC & ART – Featuring jazz legend Louis Armstrong to hip hop sensations Nicki Minaj and Kendrick Lamar. Vibrant art of local artists Ivy Hayes and Mini Evans will be showcased in this unique music exhibit.
- GREAT WALL OF WELLNESS & WELL BEING – Featuring interactive exhibits educating youth on the lifelong rewards of nurturing a healthy mind and body as their source of personal power and community prosperity.
- GREAT LAWN TERRACE – Yoga, Dance, Martial Arts, Volleyball, etc. An outdoor classroom and recreational gathering space promoting diversity, equity and inclusion.
- JOURNEY OF LIFE OBSTACLE COURSE – 777 ft. of physically challenging structures (rope, wood & metal) infused with audible positive reinforcement such as “Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” – Michael Jordan.
- SERENA WILLIAMS COURT OF CHAMPIONS – Tennis courts with exhibits featuring UNICEF’s Africa program and Schools for Asia initiative. (Title pending approval)
- JOURNEY OF LIFE SUMMIT WALL – Featuring a timeline history of the African- American experience on its journey to and arrival at greatness.
- POETRY CIRCLE OF HOPE – Meditative labyrinth w/audible recordings of great poets ie: Maya Angelou and Amanda Gorman + ‘Women Changing The World’ exhibit.
- SOLUTION CIRCLES – Intimate circular spaces for meaningful conversations surrounded by timeless and current thought-provoking questions regarding family, community and global challenges.
- POETRY IN MOTION PLAYGROUND – Promoting the highest standards of diversity, equity and inclusion, featuring the Great Wall of Positive Reinforcement.
- OLYMPIC DREAMS GYMNASTICS TRAINING CAMP – Featuring equipment and ambiance conducive to promoting a powerful and positive mindset built for success.
- NO FEAR HEMISPHERE – Skateboard bowl w/ramp, rails, etc. featuring ‘Save Our Oceans’ environmental awareness images and quotes on colorful mosaic tiles.
- MIND MAZE – Take a journey down the rabbit hole into the brain’s neuroplastic ability to rebuild itself and reshape your future. The art of thinking unfolds through this unique exhibit demonstrating how healthy exercise of the mind enhances the body and spirit’s wellbeing. Mind rejuvenators like meditation, visualization and manifestation become fun tools available to every young dreamer and achiever.
- DREAM SUMMITS – Large turf mounds for running, playing, screaming, and dreaming.
- HEALTHBEAT – Featuring shade-covered state-of-the-art outdoor fitness equipment by Landscape Structures (FitCore & FitCore Extreme 13+ equipment).
- FLIGHT OF DREAMS – 30’ whimsical flag pole holding hundreds of personal dreams on colorful flags (Tibetan style) from community children and young adults.
- OASIS ENTRANCE – Enter the Optimism Oasis gates to Louis Armstrong singing “What A Wonderful World”. Our welcome sign warmly greets each visitor with:
“In this Oasis we believe Black Lives Matter, Women’s Rights are Human Rights, Love is Love and Attitude is Everything!”